As you maybe have read elsewhere on my multitwisted blogoverse! I have worked as a games programmer. I always found post mortems, the reflection on what went right and what went wrong on the way to a finished game enlightening. So I will try my hand at one.
I met Felix Bänteli at a SGMK (Swiss Mechatronic Art Society) meeting/happening/event and we talked about Processing (the computer library build on Java) and me giving a course on it. He told me that he is organizing a Processing course and we had an interesting time comparing notes. Somewhere I did mention doing music and playing the Eigenharp and as always I had to show a picture of it. By the way good job Eigenlabs, the name and the science fiction/badass look of the instrument really gets people’s attention.
Some times later Felix send me an Email and asked me if I would like to play some music after the processing course. Naturally I said yes. He also invited Christian Bucher (check out his webpage and his cool CDs ) and after some Email all was set.
I had anxiety attacks, times when I wanted to roll myself into a ball, when I asked myself why I did this, I felt stupid, incapable, ignorant, preposterous and an absolute failure. I think this is normal, judging by all the books on creativity, 2 of which I own. Rafts to hold on in a stormy ocean. In a way I miss being a cocky teenager, because you carry failure easier, but on the other hand I know, this will pass. This is not the first time and probably not the last time, I pushed myself out of my boundaries, far out of my comfort zone.
But in the end it was fun, the feeling of my first “real” concert and I even got paid.
Now to the post mortem part.
What went wrong
- The laptop crashed, because a) something is seriously wrong with that laptop, it crashes all the time on me and b) there was too much going on (reminder to self: close everything, but the music stuff) => I am seriously thinking about a Mac Mini just for performances, with totally stable software, then I can use the laptop for visual stuff
- Cables again, too much of them, had some managing problems => cable ties and gaffer tape
- Arrangement of controllers needs work
- Netproblems with iPads and Omnisphere
- Show part could use some work, either I do totally Zen and inward bound or I need to have more showwomanship
What went right
- The whole experience
- The checklists were a great help
- The sounds were ok
- Improvising and playing with somebody else
- Playing standing up, my feet didn’t kill me
- Outfit was ok, it was more a casual concert and it fitted without being to toned down (yes I do think about outfit and make-up and nail polish, I want the whole experience, including wearing stage costumes)
What to do better next time
- have some stickers or postcards in lieu of missing CDs
- have more self-made sounds
- have more story-arclettes ready
- free my mind